Nvlddmkm.Sys Error is among all the Blue Screen of Death Errors that make you wide colorful screen completely Blue along with an error message –
“Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collecting some error info, and then we’ll restart for you. If you’d like to know more, you can search online later for this error: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)”
Nvlddmkm.Sys – How to fix?
Try It Out: Spotify Error Code 18
This specific error is basically related to the NVIDIA graphics card that you might have uploaded on your Windows 7 or Windows 10. These graphics cards sometimes get harmful and fail to respond to your requests and that is the reason you get to see the error on your system.
In this article, we will cover all the aspects of the Nvlddmkm.Sys Error from what exactly it is to how does it work. We strongly believe that it is far more important to have a knowledge about the errors than to have methods to solve them.
The idea of BSOD or Blue Screen Of Death have been already discussed in the other articles too but each BSOD error occurs because of some specific reason which we can analyze by looking at the error message displayed on the screen.
In the next block, we will analyze the error in detail and find out the reasons that cause the error and restrict us to access the programs of our choice. To begin with this I would like to have your complete attention so that you could have a better understanding of the subject matter.
What is Nvlddmkm.Sys Error?
The full name of this error is TDR Failure (Nvlddmkm.Sys). The full form of TDR is – Timeout, Detection, and Recovery and I am sure you must be familiar with these terms because these are three important components of Windows 7 and 10.
Whenever you get to see the blue screen along with an error message flashing on your screen then the first thought that should come into mind is to reset your GPU or Graphic Processing Unit and when this error occurs it will affect your drive or GPU.
Each error is different and has so many possibilities that make them appear on our systems. We have already discussed in the introduction of this article where we just guessed that this error occurs because there might have an issue with the NVIDIA graphic card.
There is a high possibility that you will get this error when the driver of the graphics cards has got overloaded or it has exceeded its capabilities. This is one possible reason but there can be other reasons that caused the error such as – memory timings are faulty, false voltages, driver conflicts, or the corrupted driver.
It is really difficult to decide the cause but it is great that you can easily fix it whatever the problem may be. Now that we have gathered enough knowledge about the Nvlddmkm.Sys Error which will help us to resolve the error in the more productive way.
Possible Methods To Fix Nvlddmkm.Sys Error
Method 1: Re-Installation of NVIDIA Graphics Driver
This is one reliable and easy method which will help you to re-install the NVIDIA Graphics driver that will fix the error permanently.
- Turn on your Windows computer.
- Turn it several times until you get a message “Preparing automatic repair”.
- You need to wait for a few seconds until another message gets displayed “Diagnosing your PC”.
- Once you open startup repair a new window will appear where you need to click on “Advanced Options”.
- After that, click on “Troubleshoot” option from the Windows recovery environment.
- Select Advanced Options where you will see many other options.
- Tap on “Startup Settings”.
- Then click on the “Restart” button.
- Select the number 4 key that enables Safe Mode.
- Once the safe mode gets on, you need to go to Device Manager.
- Then you need to navigate for the label “Display Adapters”.
- Right-click on NVIDIA graphics driver.
- Click on the “Uninstall” option.
- A prompt window will get appear where you need to confirm the task by selecting the checkbox “Delete the driver software for this device”.
- Choose the “OK” button.
- Then you need to visit the support site of NVIDIA graphics driver and from there install the latest version of the application.
- Then move towards C:\\Windows\System32\Drivers
- You need to navigate for the file named nvlddmkm.sys.
- Right-click on the file and then select the “Rename” option.
- A new prompt will appear where you need to select the “Yes” option.
- Then go to the C:\Nvidia or C:\drvvganVidia.
- Search for a file named nvddmkm.sy_.
- Once you get the file copy it and then paste it into the desktop directory.
- Then you need to press “Windows + X” keys.
- Choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- Then type the following command – expand.exe nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys.
- Hit the “Enter”.
- Then go to the C:\ drive again and write the following command – C:\\Windows\System32\Drivers.
- Lastly, restart your computer.
Method 2: Run a memory test
If the previous method does not work for you then you must move forward to the next method which is Running test. Follow the simple steps to run a memory test on your computer.
- Firstly, you need to press “Windows + R” keys.
- Then a Run command window will appear on your screen.
- You need to type “mdsched.exe” in the provided space.
- Then press the “OK” button.
- Then restart your computer.
- When you restart your computer you will be notified of the errors and then you must act accordingly.
This is the detailed tutorial which will help you fix Nvlddmkm.sys error message on Windows 7, 10. We hope that this article helped you to diagnose the errors and helped you cure the problem which the step by step guidance.
We would love to hear your experience which you can mention in the comments section below.